Sunday, November 15, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly--Checker O'Reilly Auto Parts 500

This week, the Crappafoni Pictures crew is in the desert southwest for this week's The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. This is the penultimate race of the season for NASCAR and the Crappafoni Pictures crew. The crew brings you in hi-def its nominees for the race, dodging rattlesnakes in the process.

THE GOOD

Jimmie Johnson: he gets first billing as the race winner. He led the most laps en route to the dominating win. In fact, he was so dominant that there were only two other leaders, Kurt Busch and Matt Kenseth. Now all he has to do is finish 25th or better at Homestead to win his fourth consecutive Chase title. (IMO, the Chase has cheapened the season championship.)

Jeff Burton: although he didn't lead a lap, he got better as the race went on. Finishing runner up to Johnson was about the best Burton could hope for, as Johnson was so dominant.

Denny Hamlin: he started fifth and hung out in the top 10 pretty much the whole race. Like Burton, he got better as the race wore on.

Marcos Ambrose: he started 21st and got better as the race wore on. He was good enough to edge teammate David Reutimann for a top 10 finish. Oy, Marcos!!

Mark Martin: he started 10th and gradually worked his way into the top 5. But he wasn't quite good enough to challenge his teammate Johnson.

Honorable Mention: the remaining drivers that finished on the lead lap. They had to be good to avoid going a lap down.

THE BAD

Kevin Harvick: what happened? The #29 crew TOTALLY missed on the setup and no matter how much they adjusted, they fell further back. This comes on the heels of Harvick winning the Trucks race and finishing second in the Nationwide race. He started 31st and pretty much stayed outside the top 20 the whole race. Harvick himself said the car was garbage. And based on his finish, I agree.

ABC: if they were an old dog, they'd be taken out back and shot. Their coverage is BRUTAL. Thankfully, there's only one more race this season before the Jimmie Lovefest ends.

THE UGLY

Dale Earnhardt Jr.: he got loose and caused a mini-Big One on Lap 169, right after a restart. A total of 10 cars were involved. Jr suffered significant damage, but was able to come back out on the track. He finished 56 laps down in 35th.

Those are my nominees for the race. Feel free to come in with yours.

12 comments:

Tsfanpc said...

I hate that the chase has come down to one driver. Especially when that driver is a Hendrick driver, named Jimmie Johnson.

I didn't pay much attention to the race today. Did catch the big wreck and did catch the final lap. So guess next week I will catch about the same of that race.

Only 13 weeks until the 2010 Daytona 500. Yes, I actually did count the weeks. lol

jon_464 said...

Tsfan, I'm also looking forward to the 2010 Daytona 500. I've pretty much tuned out of the rest of the season. I was switching between the race and Dallas-Green Bay.

Gene Haddock said...

I was watching the NFL most of the day but I did catch Jr causing the big one. Love how the ABC appologists blamed it on an oil leak about an hour later. Did Jr give an interview during or after the race???

Harvick and Kyle also spun out in earlier races at Phoenix this weekend, so maybe Jr is approaching their level of talent?

klvalus said...

Dang boring race in the desert this time around - almost glad I didnt go.

Gotta give props to my boy Kurt - the only team with a hope of breaking up the HMS dominance at the top. I hope he catches Gordon next weekend. Truly amazing for how crap they were last year.

And a shout out to my other boy, Junior who just ran outta talent! But thanks for taking out Smoke! LOL

tezgm99 said...

yay, go Marcos!

not expecting a lot at Homestead....but if he can stay in 18th, that's an excellent season :D

tezgm99 said...

and hang on...Kristen, you're not doing a very good job at being part of Jr-nation. Clearly Jr's crash was caused by Ambrose since the Australian pinched him down, not leaving the #88 any room. Jr, to show just how much of a class act he is, chose to spun instead of wrecking Marcos.

how's that, do I pass at Jr-nations excuses? :P

volfan69 said...

I, like Gene, was mostly watching football...HOW BOUT THEM COLTS!

Anyway, I have much respect for you and your views and opinions. As I told Gunaquat, I am already looking forward to next season...the SEASON OF RCR!

Take care and stay safe.

socal24fan said...

I think the race was real ugly. Boring for the most part.
The good, I tivo'ed the race and watched Packers/Goat Ropers.

jon_464 said...

Gene, I didn't hear a Jr interview.

Kristen, that's why I skipped between the race and Packers-Cowboys. Kurt definitely deserves props. He had a stout car. LOL@taking out Smoke!

Tez, Marcos continues to impress. Another very solid run.

Volfan, that was a GREAT comeback by the Colts. I go into the Bad category for turning off the game when the Colts went 17 down early in the fourth quarter. And RCR will be back next year!! I look for Harvick, Burton, and Bowyer to visit Victory Lane next season.

Socal, when it's the Jimmie and Chad Show, it's BORING. The football game was far better.

photogr said...

I have a vision for 2010. JJ wins every race and a 5th championship.The seats at the races are empty, the TV coverage ratings are down to "0". and all drivers are told not to be racing JJ as he heads for his 5th title.

I am so full of NASCAR and JJ. Think I might take up watching cricket. BTW what is Cricket?

tezgm99 said...

photo; cricket is a magnificent sport which is totally lost on Americans as they watch baseball instead, lol

jon_464 said...

Photogr, I'm with ya there as far as Jimmie goes. I think fans want to see different drivers win championships. Thankfully Sunday is the last race of the season.

Tez, I'm sure cricket is a great game. I'd have to be immersed in the terminology and strategy and rules of the game.