Saturday, December 12, 2009

NASCAR musings in the offseason

Although the NASCAR season has been over for a few weeks now, I do have some ideas on how NASCAR can be improved.

  1. Get rid of Brian France. Enough said. Unfortunately, that won't happen.
  2. Don't sissify the drivers by emasculating them. Let them be men. If Hamlin and Keselowski (or Harvick and ______) want to fight, let them fight without repercussions. Let them settle their differences under the grandstands, and if they want to have a beer afterwards, they should.
  3. Lose the Chase. The Chase has jumped the shark.
  4. Lose each of the following races: Pocono, Michigan, California, and Loudon. Each of these tracks should have ONLY one race per season.
  5. Reduce the schedule to 30 races or so. This will allow more free time for NASCAR personnel to be with their families, and to recharge their batteries. No races on Easter and Mother's Day weekends. (Remember the Darlington race that was rained out and was subsequently ran on Mother's Day a few years ago?)
  6. Montreal should be a prime candidate for an additional road course race. That is a SWEET track! (Ask Carl Edwards; he'll tell you.) Lacking that, Sonoma should get a second race, preferably in late September or early October, putting it squarely in the Chase (since the Chase won't be eliminated).
  7. Place more emphasis on wins. Give the winner of a race an additional 50 bonus points.

These are but a few ideas I have. Your suggestions are very much welcomed.

10 comments:

photogr said...

1. Aye
2. Aye
3. Aye 4. Aye. 5. Aye.6. Aye. 7. Aye.

Suggestions:

Make the Jimmie and Chad show start in the back of the pack each race.

Eliminate the continual start and park drivers by not paying money for the 39th to 43rd place finishers.

Lock up the big yellow trailer with Brian France in it and ship it to the South Pole one way during the race season.

jon_464 said...

I like your suggestion of locking up the big yellow trailer with France in it! And not paying money from 39th on back has merit. I would also suggest no points be awarded for start and parking.

Gene Haddock said...

Great suggestions Jon.

I think they race at Darlington now on the night before Mother's Day. For the last 4-5 years, and it's been sold out for the last three.

I was planning on this same type of blog, so I wait to give all my ideas...LOL

jon_464 said...

Gene, you're right. A few years back, the Saturday night race was rained out and postponed to Mother's Day. I'd have the race either the week before or the week after Mother's Day.

YeeMum said...

Interesting musings.

tezgm99 said...

1 - as long as you don't replace him with Bernie Ecclestone :P
2 - agree...in fact, provide all drivers with boxing gloves when they get out of their cars, lol
3 - either lose the Chase or score those drivers differently
4 - yes please! Also, reduce the remaining Pocono race to 400 miles :)
5 - look at weather patterns a little too. for example; if it always rains in New Hampshire in June, fiddle with the schedule a bit.
6 - totally agree on Montreal...and make the Cup guys race in the rain on the road courses! If the teams whinge and complain, tough! They're supposed to be the elite in NASCAR after all.
7 - and don't score past 30th or so....that will hopefully reduce S&P as well as teams going out with a modified just to go from 43rd to 42nd in the race results.

Might I also suggest that Cup guys can only race, at most, half the NW season? If they so desire, they can rull fulltime in the Trucks, but not in the NW series.

socal24fan said...

Great topic Jon. And the bloggers added more than I could ever think of. I wish lugnuts and fanaddicts ran NASCAR

Tsfanpc said...

Jon this is so funny, just the other day, I was doing a blog on What would I change if I was in charge of NASCAR for a day...but it got so long, that I haven't had a chance to edit it yet. So since you did this one, I might just skip it.

The one thing I would change besides some of your ideas, would be to get rid of the COT and go to 2009 Nationwide cars with the COT safety features added, but NASCAR and the France family has to pick up the tab for ALL teams to retro fit the cars.

But I would have to say I would much prefer to see Watkins Glen or Daytona's Road Course added to the chase.

jon_464 said...

Thank you everyone for reading and commenting. Sorry that I haven't responded sooner due to my very busy work schedule. Hopefully my work schedule can wind down somewhat so I can write more often.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you left Atlanta alone.lol

Give Junior a trophy just for finishing.lol I hope he has a better year. Go Reed & Ragan, too!