Thursday, February 25, 2010

Gas and Go--Las Vegas

This week's Gas and Go comes from Sin City. If you stop and listen closely, you can almost hear Elvis singing, "Viva Las Vegas." It's gonna be Viva Las Vegas for the driver that visits Victory Lane! Here are some short insights and takes leading into the race.

  1. While Jimmie Johnson was last week's winner, it was the RCR drivers that are the big winners coming into Vegas. They come into Vegas with Big Mo on their side. Kevin Harvick and Clint Bowyer are 1-2 in the points coming in, and both drivers have been strong in Vegas. I expect the RCR momentum to continue.
  2. No driver has ever won this race from the pole. Kyle Busch did win the pole last year, but had to start from the rear of the field. He charged through the field and won in his hometown.
  3. Kyle Busch made his Cup debut at this race in 2004, but crashed out after 11 laps.
  4. With 17 laps led in last year's race, Jeff Gordon surpassed 20,000 laps led, becoming only the seventh driver to eclipse that number. For his CAREER, Gordon has averaged nearly 40 laps led PER RACE.
  5. Speaking of Kyle, I look for a brotherly duel with him and older brother Kurt at some point in the race. I expect both brothers to run well, and I wouldn't be surprised if one of them visits Victory Lane.
  6. Roush Fenway is the only organization that has had a driver in the top 10 every year of the race's existence. Look for that trend to continue.
  7. Look for the usual suspects to run strong: Harvick, Bowyer, Jeff Burton, Jimmie Johnson, Gordon, Carl Edwards (2008 winner), the Busch Brothers.

Predicted Race Winner: Kyle Busch. He goes back to back in front of the home crowd. (Unless he runs that Pepto-Bismol pink paint scheme the little girl in the Toyota commercial thought up.)

Predicted rest of the top 5: 2) Harvick; 3) Burton; 4) Kurt Busch; 5) Johnson.

Darkhorse top-10 finisher: Sam Hornish Jr.

That's my G&G for the race. Your insights and comments are welcome!

6 comments:

Gene Haddock said...

Jon...Thanks for the jinx! I'll have to go back to RSO and declare Harvick my winner. LOL

Great stuff. I'll take Menard as my dark horse, top-10 finisher. I just have a feeling about him this week...that, or he'll be in the first wreck.

klvalus said...

Cool beans Jon - you are heavy on the Penske cars this week. I like it!

I've got Harvick and Burton on my fantasy team but I am going with the new daddy for the win...Edwards!

Brent said...

Good G&G. Agree with your winner and also think that Bowyer will be the top finishing RCR car. Not too sure if Harvick is going to perform like he has the past two weeks...

jon_464 said...

Gene, LOL! With Menard, he either runs very well, or he's in the first wreck or two.

Kristen, I just have a feeling about the Penske cars this week. I think both Kurt and Sam will be very strong. (Kurt won the pole and Sam's starting 14th.) In Kurt's case, it wouldn't surprise me if he's in Victory Lane. I don't think the Roush cars are quite up to snuff yet, other than Biffle and MAYBE Kenseth.

Gonger, thanks. Gene seems to think I jinxed Kyle, though, LOL. I have Bowyer just outside the top 10--seventh, maybe sixth. He will lead laps, though.

photogr said...

I think all ya'all got it wrong. I am looking for my boy Mikey Waltrip to take Vegas. Well, one of his drivers. Mikey, if he races will be the first to cause a caution.

Tsfanpc said...

My dark horse Tony Stewart.

After the fast start they got last year, many seem to think this team is struggling. In my opinion, they are just getting started. This is typical Stewart. So start, finish strong.