Thursday, July 8, 2010

The LeBron Hype In One Word: NAUSEATING

Consider me guilty.

Why, pray tell?

I didn't drink the LeBron James flavor Kool-Aid.

And so it goes. The hype surrounding James' free agency was WAY overdone, to the point of being nauseating. Instead of a breakdown of Lakers-Celtics in the Finals, we were subjected to LeBron's incessant mugging for ESPN. Once the Lakers defeated the Celtics in seven games, it became the LeBron Watch 24/7. WHO GIVES A RAT'S ASS?? LeBron hasn't won SHIT in the NBA. How many Finals has he played in? ONE?? Even then, the Cavs were made into a speed bump along the San Antonio Spurs' destination to the NBA title.

Then we sports fans were subjected to an entire ONE HOUR special on the Four Letter. A one hour special on one of the most pampered, egotistical, selfish players on the planet! He singlehandedly prostituted the free agent process by having several teams come into Akron, Ohio, to meet with him and wine and dine him. I always thought that if a prominent player becomes a free agent, he GOES to potential teams to meet with them and to get an idea of what he may be getting into. Oh, that's right. He bastardized the process.

You want to know what I did instead? I had a doctor's appointment, then WENT SHOPPING. That's how NOT interested I was in The LeBron Show. Then on the way home, I listened to Michael Savage. Had I been home, I'd have probably watched Lifetime instead of The LeBron Show.

Now it's time to go both barrels and empty my magazine, so to speak. While LeBron deserves his share of blame, I blame his handlers, ESPN, and the sports media for overhyping a player that has never won a championship. Guess what? Adam Morrison has MORE rings than LeBron. So does DJ Mbenga, the 13th player on a 14-player rotation. Morrison has two rings with the Lakers and he's the 15th player on a 14-player rotation. For the record, LeBron signed with the Miami Heat.

I wonder how many Cavs fans will now become Heat fans because those fans drink the LeBron flavored Kool-Aid? I don't know for sure, but I think there will be MANY. And how will LeBron, Dwayne Wade, and Chris Bosh share the ball? You can't split a ball into three! I, for one, am DAMN GLAD this hype is OVER. Now let's focus on the real sports: NFL, NASCAR, and baseball.

Note: this is a radical departure from my usual NASCAR-themed posts.

4 comments:

Dwindy1 said...

Hi Jon!

I have to say that I'd rather watch soccer than NBA basketball. I'm a firm believer that it's been a put up job for years. It's like the year they started drawing ping pong balls to determine who got the first pick in the draft. I was a faithful Warriors fan, they should have had that pick but no, guess who got it? The New York Knicks... Who was the pick? NBA Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing. NEW YORK CITY? That did it for me. I can honestly say through all of scandals since, I haven't watched a single NBA game.

Lebron who?

jon_464 said...

Dwindy, I'm sure you saw the sarcasm dripping from the pages! I agree that the lottery is a farce; but it's all about $$$$ to Stern. Stern IMO WANTED Ewing to play in NYC and NOWHERE else. In similar fashion, when the Spurs won the top pick and drafted Tim Duncan, they had a 2.3% chance of winning the top pick that year. But guess what? They won the pick! Whatever happened to the WORST team drafting first?

klvalus said...

I hate the NBA and NFL -- both leagues seem full of pompous, narcissistic thugs who barely play ball and are too busy flappin their gums at how great they are.

...and Oak was too busy rioting for me to get home anyway.

Sports Chump said...

He he... I could see where people were just over it.

Here's my take, Jon.

http://sportschump.net/2010/07/09/lebron-james-mania-sparks-an-imaginative-48-hours-on-twitter/4074/

Unfortunately, I do think that eventually, maybe not next year, but eventually, LeBron will be having the last laugh.

It'll be an easy team to root against, however.