Friday, May 29, 2009

Gas and Go--Dover (Spring Race 2009)

A few quick takes and observations on this week's race from Dover International Speedway, including some historical perspective.

  1. Dover International Speedway first opened in 1969 as Dover Downs (still my preferred name for the track), a unique dual purpose speedway designed for both horse and auto racing. Richard Petty won the first NASCAR Grand National (now Sprint Cup) race, the Mason-Dixon 400, on July 6, 1969.
  2. All non-NASCAR sanctioned events are dropped from the schedule after 1971 to focus exclusively on the two 500 mile races.
  3. The first of the two 500 mile races exclusive to the track was run on June 4, 1972, as the Mason-Dixon 500. Bobby Isaac was on the pole and Bobby Allison won in a Chevrolet from the outside pole.
  4. Bobby Allison leads in all-time Cup wins at the track with seven. Jeff Gordon leads all active drivers with four wins.
  5. Thinking of you: Joe Ruttman.
  6. Ruttman won the very first Busch Series (now Nationwide Series) race, the Sportsman 200, in June 1982. How time flies!
  7. Dover Downs becomes NASCAR's first concrete paved speedway in 1995.
  8. The Craftsman Truck Series (now Camping World Truck Series) had its first race at Dover in September 2000. Kurt Busch won that first race from the pole.
  9. Dover Downs becomes Dover International Speedway in 2002. Jimmie Johnson swept the Dover races in that year as a rookie.
  10. Kyle Busch won last year's race, and David Reutimann sits on the pole for this year's race.
  11. Look for Reutimann to be strong all race long, as well as Busch, Carl Edwards, Matt Kenseth, Jimmie Johnson, Ryan Newman, and Jeff Gordon.

Predicted Race Winner: Carl Edwards.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Jon. I know it's a territorial thing, but I've never heard a lot of facts about other tracks outside of "THE SOUTH." Thanks for the information. This blog is nice. My friend, Donna, saw this (and you - lol) and looked at all the other blogs, saw that it didn't have to be sports-related and decided to become a blogger! Haven't got her details yet. I liked the link from FOX to here on your last blog. So if they want any of you, they've got to come here? lol

Anonymous said...

You're in my blog on FOX. You are my blog on FOX. Let me know if you like it.

jon_464 said...

Thanks Beverly! Sorry for the delay in my reply! That's the one thing about this site, it doesn't alert me when I have either you or Gonger (or someone else) comment on my blog here. At least Fox Sports did!

I'm getting sick of the spammers that flood my comments. Fox won't do anything about it. Here, NO SPAMMERS!

Anonymous said...

I thought there was a place in settings to check to receive emails. I didn't know you could customize these things until my friend, Donna, said she wanted to start blogging but she didn't know how. So I wrote a blog. When I linked it to Facebook, it picked up your blog but when you click on the link, my blog comes up. Take a look. It's not about sports!