Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Gas and Go--Atlanta (Summer Race 2009)

This week's Gas and Go comes from the Deep South. I will give you some insights and short takes leading up to this race.

  1. Atlanta will benefit greatly from the Chase race. Currently 89 points separate seventh through 14th positions.
  2. This will be the first time Atlanta has hosted a night race.
  3. For whom will the night time be the right time? Historically, AMS seems to favor consistent drivers.
  4. The drivers in seventh through 14th have to guard against racing too conservatively. A good result, and their Chase chances greatly improve. A bad result and they can kiss their Chase chances good bye.
  5. Historically, AMS has been the scene of some great finishes, most notably Kevin Harvick's first Cup win in just his third start. Harvick beat Jeff Gordon to the line by a foot in the Spring 2001 race. (Harvick held the record for the fewest starts to his first Cup win until Jamie McMurray won at Charlotte in October 2002 in his second start, filling in for an injured Sterling Marlin.)
  6. Thinking of you: Awesome Bill from Dawsonville, aka Bill Elliott.
  7. Who will run well? I look for the usual suspects: Carl Edwards, Greg Biffle, Matt Kenseth, Tony Stewart, Ryan Newman, Jeff Gordon, Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr., Brian Vickers. Dark horses: Juan Pablo Montoya, Marcos Ambrose, Kevin Harvick.
  8. For which driver will the night time be the right time?

Predicted Race Winner: Mark Martin. He has run consistently well at AMS since he began Cup racing. With a Chase berth on the line, he takes the checkered flag and all but clinches a Chase spot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Go Bill, Reed and David.

Good information, wish I were going.

photogr said...

Well I had my druthers, it would be Stewart or Edwards but you know how that goes.

Ok Martin has a good chance.

Gene Haddock said...

Kyle Busch and Brian Vickers will both finish in the top-5. A Vickers win should be no surprise.

jon_464 said...

Beverly, should be a good race.

Photogr, I think Edwards will be a major factor. It wouldn't surprise me if he won.

Gene, I think Busch will be in the top 5, Vickers top 10. While I won't rule out a Vickers win, he's struggled a bit at the ATL.

klvalus said...

Jon, Jon, Jon...now how can you not list Kurt among the usual suspects!?!? He has won there multiple times and won the spring race there! Sheesh...

=P

jon_464 said...

Kristen, a GROSS oversight on my part! My bad! I was very tired when I was composing Gas and Go and simply left him off.

Brent said...

Nice GAG as usual.

Like your Martin pick. I also think Kyle Busch could very well win two in a row.

Can't wait to go to the race tomorrow!!!