Saturday, September 19, 2009

Gas and Go--Loudon (Chase race)

This week's Gas and Go comes to you from Loudon. Since this is the first race in the Chase, it's a special Gas and Go.

  1. You might not want to win this particular race: only Kurt Busch in 2004 has gone on to win the Championship.
  2. You DO want to have a good finish to set up the rest of the Chase. Kyle Busch came into the Chase last season on a roll. He suffered misfortune and went into a freefall during the Chase.
  3. In 2000, Jeff Burton won this race. He led every lap en route to the win, becoming only the fourth driver in NASCAR history to achieve this remarkable feat. He started second, took the lead after the first lap, and it was sayonara to the rest of the field.
  4. Sadly, with the advent of debris cautions, we may not ever see Burton's feat achieved again.
  5. Because of the terrorist attacks on 9/11/01, this race was postponed until 11/23/01. Robby Gordon won that particular race, highlighted by a game of bumper cars with Jeff Gordon. The win was Robby Gordon's first NASCAR win, and his first win with Richard Childress Racing. In fact, it was Childress' first win as a car owner at this track. (Kevin Harvick would win this race from the pole in 2006)
  6. Look for the usual suspects to run strong: Kurt Busch, Kevin Harvick, Jeff Gordon, Juan Pablo Montoya, Jimmie Johnson.
  7. Since this Gas and Go is so late, I won't pick Montoya as my predicted winner.

Predicted Race Winner: Kurt Busch.

8 comments:

Brent said...

Nice GAG as usual.

I'm going with Tony Stewart to win this race. He needs to get things going back in the right direction...

Anonymous said...

Me, too, Gonger. I was about to change to Kyle but maybe it's a sign. I'm staying with Tony.lol

Tsfanpc said...

And the reason Burton was the only driver to lead a lap that day was because of the restrictor plates that they used on the cars. Due to the criticism and safety concerns of the drivers.

That was the only time the plates have been used outside of the two superspeedways. I remember that race. It was the most boring race I had ever seen.

klvalus said...

WOOT! nice pic Jon...

Did you see the video going around of Montoya blowing off a TV interview on the news b/c it went past 5:00p. He may be getting his agro-ness up for the Chase!

Gene Haddock said...

I remember that race...thank goodness for debris cautions.

Jeff Gordon to win.

jon_464 said...

Gonger, that's a good pick, and I think he's more than capable of winning, but he's lost some mojo coming into the Chase. Perhaps the Chase itself is what Tony needs.

Beverly, I'd go with my first instinct. Kurt Busch was my first instinct regarding this race, that's why I'm sticking with him to win.

Tsfan, I recall a race outside of the two superspeedways having a restrictor plate race, I wasn't aware it was Loudon. I bet it was a real snoozefest!

Kristen, thanks! JPM has looked stout all weekend; perhaps this is the weekend he gets his first oval win.

Gene, I'm sure the drivers that day were PRAYING for a debris caution! Gordon has a rig that's more than capable of winning.

photogr said...

Well I have to go with J.Johnson. I think he has been sand bagging till the chase.

jon_464 said...

Photogr, I expect Johnson to be in Victory Lane a couple of times at least during the Chase. I have him winning it all again.